Thursday 1 May 2014

Task 5 - The Marbach Museum Of Modern Literature

http://www.archinfo.it/david-chipperfield-museum-of-modern-
literature/0,1254,53_ART_198240,00.html
Choosing a building out of the 14 RIBA sterling prize winners that I least liked was much harder than one that I liked, as I like them all for different reasons. However I had to choose The Marbach Museum Of Modern Literature.
My reasons for the choice of this building are mainly summed up in one question: Why did this building win? Out of all the other exiting or historic buildings that are being built today, I'm slightly surprised that this building emerged as a winner. I have to give it credit that its location is beautiful, set on high ground looking over a German valley, and the fact very old German authors collected and dispersed there work from this very museum is also very interesting. But the architecture its self I don't think is all that special.
There seems to be a very limited use of materials, giving a very modern approach to what looks like the re-creation of a very old Greek temple. I must agree that the pillared structure, together with a large use of glass, has an eye catching effect which I do quite like. It is efficient, in terms of saving energy through lighting, and also provides a very light, clean atmosphere so the literature inside can be seen easily, which I believe would be a huge part of the client brief. In addition to this, as described on the RIBA website ( http://ribastirlingprize.architecture.com/marbach-museum-of-modern-literature-germany-2007/), the entrance to the building is another feature. Without being too critical, the description seems to use the setting as the main attraction, with the decent of a couple of steps, until you reach a large door. It even describes the lack of materials as a 'palate of materials'. It seems a few fancy words have been used to over sell this building. In my opinion, the beautiful location of this building won its award, and not the architecture, or the buildings relationship with the surroundings. Although I think the building has met the client brief, I think something much better could have been built.

References: http://ribastirlingprize.architecture.com/marbach-museum-of-modern-literature-germany-2007/

No comments:

Post a Comment