Thursday 24 April 2014

The Newton Building

I also sketched the Newton building, Nottingham, as part of my sketchbook at the start of the year. I spend a lot of time in newton for my lectures. Now, from being a child, and like any other child, I hated the idea of going to school. We used to refer to school as a prison, when in fact looking back I enjoyed school and liked the building and the reference of a prison was usually targeted to the staff and the rules which I naturally wasn't a custom too. BUT LOOK AT THAT! In my opinion this is THE prison of educational buildings. Thank god my lectures are on the ground floor of this bland, industrial looking tower! Not one part of me wants to go in there, and especially not sit and learn in there! If you took this photo again with a grey sky, and the trees on fire it would look like something out of lord of the rings! And imagine if every building in a city looked like this, walking through an urban council estate in a London suburb at night would feel like a holiday destination! And to think on the other side of this hideous eye sore is the famous Arkwright building, which I prefer because I find it has much more character! However, I have to give credit on how the architect has joined the buildings together, because I feel as if when I walk from one into the other, there is some sort of flow, where it feels like it works!
Although I can understand that there can only be a limited amount of windows, due to noise pollution in the middle of the city, I don't like the very plain use of greyish brown stone. There is no decoration, and I find the style reminds me of a commercial bank building, or a government building rather than an educational facility.



References: Photo and sketch was sourced by myself, Matthew parsons, taken on the 28/11/13

No comments:

Post a Comment