Wednesday 30 April 2014

Vitra fire station - Zaha Hadid

Despite being a massive fan of lots of Zaha Hadid's work, the Vitra Fire station I didnt quite get. Initially, as I do with most of her work, I think wow that looks new, different, interesting which I think it does. But when I came to learn that it was a fire station, I was slightly confused. Surely a design like this is the least practical design possible for a fire station, and there are no clues what so ever to give it away that it is a fire station. I could understand if the 'spiky' points reached for the sky, with a reddish tint  representing flames, but this doesn't seem to make any sense.
http://www.mimoa.eu/projects/Germany/Weil%20am%20Rhein/Vitra%20Fire%20Station
And another thing about this building is why make it out of concrete? It may be a very cost effective and sturdy way of making a building, but Zaha Hadid always seams to put aesthetics first. why not use a nice silky black, or white, or even coloured material to finish this building. instead, we are left with a rough, grey, industrial finish, that looks like its half way through its construction. I must say I'm not a massive fan of concrete buildings, and finishes such as this, as I think the black that starts to appear on them looks dirty, and they always remind me of a vile multi story car park that thankfully got demolished in my home town. However, I understand the use for concrete in a multi story car park, as its so practical and easy, but i think this was a big mistake, and to conclude, an eye sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment